What you will see
The story of jute and the story of Dundee are inseparable. The industry employed 50,000 people in the city at its peak and supplied much of the world’s demand for jute goods. As you explore the self-led museum at your own pace you will:
- Soak up the atmosphere of the cobbled 19th century courtyard.
- Enter a busy jute office of 1900 and meet some characters of the period.
- Find out how jute was harvested in India, how and why it came to Dundee and more about Dundee’s bustling docks.
- Experience the incredible sounds of the machines and see the jute process from raw fibre to woven cloth.
- See a typical Dundee ‘plettie’, learn about tenement life and the health of the mill workers.
- Discover who ‘kettle bilers’ were and all about the reversal of traditional gender roles in Dundee – finding out about mill girls, Suffragettes and the unions.
- Visit the Victorian Half-Time School and also see how the workers spent their precious leisure time.
- Enjoy drop in family activities in our specially designed Red Box learning hub.
- Appreciate the stunning mill architecture from the two viewing platforms in the High Mill and watch in awe as the 1801 Boulton & Watt beam engine tuns into action.
Don’t forget to stop by our gift shop and our award winning café to get a well-earned cup of tea and Dundee cake!
Book Your Tickets
Summer HoursTemporarily closed from 11/11/2020
NB: Last admission is 1 hour prior to closing.
Closed 25th, 26th and 1st January
All paid admissions will also receive a free annual pass - allowing you to return as often as you like for the next 12 months at no extra cost.
Children under 5 gain free admission. Child price is for ages 5 to 16
Family price is for 2 adults and 2 children
Concession price covers school pupils over 16, students and those over 60 years
West Henderson’s Wynd
Dundee DD1 5BT
t: +44 (0)1382 309060
Additional travel information:
By road – Verdant Works is in the Blackness area of Dundee on West Henderson’s Wynd. On entering Dundee you should follow signs for ‘city centre’ and Verdant Works is signposted throughout the city. Enter DD1 5BT postcode in your sat nav. Free car parking is available in our dedicated car park.
By rail – Dundee is on the main East Coast line and the railway station is approximately a ten minutes from Verdant Works
By bus – Most buses from Fife stop at Greenmarket which is just at the side of the railway station so only ten minutes’ walk to Verdant Works. If you are coming from Forfar, Verdant Works is a short walk from the High Street. All buses from Perth, Blairgowrie and Coupar Angus stop at Debenhams, outside the Overgate shopping centre. For those travelling from further afield by bus, Verdant Works is a 20 minute walk from Dundee bus station.
Accommodation nearby – Travelodge Dundee Central https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/301/Dundee-Central-hotel
Tel: 08719 846 301 Postcode: DD1 1NJ
Please note that there are no luggage storage facilities available at Verdant Works.
If there is anything else we can do to ensure you can plan the perfect
trip to the Verdant Works, do not hesitate to get in touch with the team
West Henderson’s Wynd
t : +44 (0) 1382 309060
t : email@example.com