Verdant Works looks forward to welcoming you. The site has made a concerted effort to ensure our facilities and displays are accessible to all – this good practice has been recognised by the Adapt Trust (physical) and the Intact Trust (intellectual).
Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information on accessibility.
- Designated parking spaces are available on the right-hand side of the street as you approach the museum down West Henderson’s Wynd.
- There is no charge for these spaces. However, please note that they are not bookable.
- Verdant Works also has a free car park for customers (entrance from Blinshall Street, from which there is level pavement access to the museum).
- Verdant Works has a historic cobbled courtyard entrance and some uneven surfaces in the High Mill and Glazed Alley, which are passable with care.
- There are ramps throughout the museum whenever there is a change in floor level.
- There is a lift to the first-floor Social History gallery.
- This lift also provides access to the conference rooms and the first and second floors of the High Mill.
- Wheelchairs are available for loan at no charge.
- Due to the restricted width of current doorways, users of large Motability scooters may find access to the reception area difficult.
Other services, resources and facilities
- The reception area, circulation areas (i.e. to the lift), and the High Mill are well-lit.
- Within the exhibition galleries, light levels can vary.
- There are audio-visual displays, so noise levels vary.
- Sensory backpacks are available from reception containing the SEN map, an activity sheet, a soft toy, and sensory toys.
- Glass doors have contrast markings.
- The temperature varies as you move through the Museum, and some galleries and spaces are quite cold. You may want to bring an extra layer of clothing to put on in these areas.
- The machine hall often has working machinery in it, and noise levels can be very high.
- The High Mill is a large space,, so noise can travel and reverberate.
- There is a variety of seating throughout the museum.
- Adapted toilets are available.
- Assistance dogs are admitted.
- Concession rates are available.
- Carers are admitted free.
- If you need assistance during your visit, staff members will be able to help you. Front-of-house teams wear grey t-shirts and orange lanyards.
- We have emergency evacuation procedures for disabled visitors.
- Members of our Education team are trained in basic Makaton.
You can find more information and images here.